Delicious and sustainable, what's not to love!
Here's how to make everyone's favourite sweet treat...banana bread, made with a zero waste mindset thanks to Martyn Odell; as well as some additional recipes for a banana stock syrup AND refreshing Discarded Banana Rum Daquiri.
- 140g butter
- 140g brown sugar
- 140g Self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Banana pulp from stock syrup - *more on this below.
- Cream together your butter and sugar, then add your flour, eggs, baking powder, pinch of salt and cinnamon.
- To your smooth cake mix, mix through your banana pulp, pour into a tin and bake @180°c for 30-35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst still warm, stab with a skewer all over then dribble over some discarded banana rum and allow to soak.
- Serve with a good dollop of yoghurt and enjoy!
Banana Stock syrup
- 2 bananas
- 100g Brown sugar
- 150ml Water
- Wash your bananas, pop everything in a pan, simmer until the bananas are soft, pass through a sieve, keep your “pulp” and liquid and leave to cool.
- Pro tip: make your stock syrup from leftover banana peels.
- 10ml banana stock syrup
- 25ml lime juice
- 50ml Banana peel rum
Martyn Odell is a self titled Food Waste Disruptor. He's been a chef for over 15 years and is on a mission to teach us how to cook without wasting food. Making the most out of humble everyday ingredients to cut back on household food waste. You can learn more about his mission and check out more amazing sustainable recipe here (https://lagomchef.com/).